RBS is the oldest law firm in British Columbia with a diverse group of professionals who serve regional and Asia Pacific clients in a variety of areas.
The Asia Pacific Group is comprised of lawyers with language capabilities in Mandarin, Cantonese, and Korean. Throughout all client communications, the firm strives to ensure that clients understand their legal options before making a final decision on their chosen direction. The lawyers’ language skills and adept representation experience in key areas of law ensure that clients are well served.
The Asia Pacific Group’s work encompasses small to large deals, litigation matters, securities advice and transactions, wealth management, estate planning, real estate transactions, mortgage investment entity matters and other corporate-related matters that support private individuals and businesses across many industries. The firm’s experience ranges from acting for Canadian entities on matters involving wealth planning dealing with cross border issues, to advising clients with respect to Asian-based investors, and to advising Chinese clients on applications to list on Canadian securities exchanges.
The Asia Pacific Group’s experience includes the following:
General corporate, transactional and securities matters
- Advising on an agreement of cooperative exploration and purchase and sale of mineral claims and properties between a public Canadian company and a private Chinese corporation
- Assisting Asian-based individuals in their purchase of shares and/or assets of approved Canadian businesses
- Assisting Chinese clients with structuring investments in Canadian companies
- Acting for a development stage coal company regarding equity financings from various major international mining companies, with offerors comprised of international mining companies and Chinese entities
- Advising on coal purchase transactions for private Chinese investors for projects based in British Columbia
- Advising on an M&A/equity financing transaction involving a Chinese military-owned enterprise with a mineral project in Hunan Province
- Advising on an M&A transaction and formation of a joint venture involving a gold project in Henan Province
- Acting for a number of mortgage investment corporations (MICs) and other mortgage investment entities focus on Chinese investors and borrowers
- Advising on the public listing of Asian-based businesses
Real estate transactions
- Advising on multiple real estate development projects for developers in Asia
- Assisting Asian clients with commercial leasing matters, including lease reviews and negotiations, to landlords and tenants
- Obtaining and advising on trademark registrations in Canada, the USA, Asia and elsewhere in the world
- Advising on trademark protection and enforcement in Canada and the USA for clients around the world
- Policing, enforcing and defending trademark rights for clients around the world
- Managing trademark portfolios in Canada, the USA, Asia and elsewhere in the world
Personal and general services
- Assisting Asian business owners with estate planning, asset protection, wills, family trusts and business succession planning
- Assisting Asian business owners with working in, investing in and trading with Canada
The firm also receives Asia Pacific legal work from local and international law firms, which is a testament to its capabilities in this area of law.
RBS is a long-standing member of the Pacific Rim Advisory Council (PRAC), a unique strategic alliance within the global legal community, with unparalleled expertise on the legal and business issues facing Asia and the broader Pacific Rim region. As a founding member of PRAC, and with its relationships with law firms in areas that include Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan, the firm is well positioned to assist clients that wish to conduct business within the Asia Pacific region. The Intellectual Property Disputes Group includes experienced trademark agents with experience in international trademark filings, opposition, enforcements and cancellation proceedings, and access to RBS’ network of international associates.
Firm members are also active within the local Asian community and are involved with organizations that include the Association of Chinese-Canadian Entrepreneurs, the Hong Kong Canada Business Association, S.U.C.C.E.S.S., the Japanese Canadian Citizens Association, Richmond Chamber of Commerce, and the Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers.
RBS presents a U.S. Perspective on Market Trends and Tax Reform
February 14, 2018
Sze-Mei Yeung, who heads our Mergers & Acquisitions team, and Silvana Facchin, Manager of our Corporate...
Tim Brown and Christine Lowe co-host presentation on Family Shareholders’ Agreements at PBLI Conference
November 19, 2018
On November 20th, Tim Brown and Christine Lowe will speak at the PBLI Tax and Succession Planning for the...