RBS is the oldest law firm in British Columbia with a diverse group of professionals who serve South Asian clients in a variety of areas.
The South Asian Group is comprised of lawyers with language capabilities in Punjabi, Gujarati and Hindi. The combination of these lawyers’ language skills with experience in key areas of law ensures that our South Asian clients are properly represented and well served. We are diverse not only in our areas of expertise, but in the individuals we employ. Our lawyers understand the cultural dynamics and complexities that are unique to South Asian clients, and we tailor our services to meet those needs.
The South Asian Practice Group’s work encompasses many different areas of law including litigation, business advice and transactions, wealth management, business succession planning, personal estate planning, real estate transactions and development, and other related matters that support individuals and businesses across many industries.
The Group’s experience includes the following:
Business services and transactions
- Advising purchasers and sellers on the purchase and sale of businesses, including debt and equity financing for businesses;
- Assisting South Asian-based individuals on expanding their operations into Canada;
- Advising on business structuring including incorporations, societies, partnerships, and joint ventures; and
- Advising on related employment, banking, intellectual property, and litigation needs.
Real estate transactions
- Advising on real estate development projects including business structuring, financing, and all stages of residential, office, industrial and mixed-use development;
- Assisting with residential and commercial conveyancing and financing; and
- Commercial leasing matters, including lease reviews and negotiations.
Estate and wealth advisory
- Assisting clients with preparation of Wills, Powers of Attorney, Representation Agreements, and Trust planning;
- Business succession planning, wealth transfer to children, and asset protection;
- Advising individuals, companies, and trusts on tax planning; and
- Obtaining representation grants and administering estates.
Litigation and dispute resolution
- Assisting clients with employment and personal injury dispute resolution; and
- Contractual dispute resolution including debt collection, construction, real estate and leasing, and shareholder and partnership disputes.
We serve many longstanding South Asian clients who come to us for our practical and cost-effective advice. We respect their traditions and customs and provide tailored solutions that fit their needs. Both knowledgeable and personable, our lawyers use a common sense approach in what we do. We have appeared on behalf of clients in matters at all levels of court in BC, conducted mediations, navigated arbitrations and negotiated settlements.
Your business success is important to us and we will work hard to protect your rights. We are proud of our nearly 150 years of history, and represent all organizations, ranging from start-ups to multinational companies. If you have a legal issue you need help with, we have likely experienced it before, and one of our South Asian Group members can support you.