Ryan A. Shaw
Ryan’s practice and experience is focused on insurance defence, real estate and construction disputes. Ryan completed his articles with Richards Buell Sutton LLP in May 2014 and joined the firm as an associate with our Litigation and Dispute Resolution group.
In his time with the firm, Ryan has developed a reputation as an effective and practical lawyer. He regularly works with large institutional clients and international developers, as well as individual land owners and contractors. He has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia and has experience with alternate forms of dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration. Ryan’s goal is to provide clients with constructive and practical advice that will assist them in resolving their disputes.
REPRESENTATIVE CLIENT WORK
Ryan has acted for some of the top insurance companies in the world and has defended their insureds against third party property and personal injury claims.
Recent experience in this area includes:
- Acting as counsel on a matter in which a dismissal was obtained of an eight year old lawsuit against a strata corporation, its directors and others for extensive damages following a 22-day Supreme Court trial (Hirji v. The Owners Strata Corporation Plan VR44, 2015 BCSC 2043);
- Successfully arguing for special costs against the plaintiffs in the above noted action (Hirji v. The Owners Strata Corporation Plan VR44, 2016 BCSC 548);
- Defending contractors in multi-party property damage claims involving building defects;
- Defending strata corporations, property managers, and strata council members against allegations of breach of statutory duty, breach of contract and negligence from strata property owners, including handling cases through Small Claims trial and appeal; and
- Defending commercial property owners against slip and fall claims.
Real Estate Litigation
Ryan has broad experience working with property managers, tenants and landlords handling commercial lease disputes including failure to pay rent, rent distress, abandoned premises, abandoned goods in a premises, surrender agreements and ownership of fixtures on premises. His client work also includes advising developers, purchasers and sellers in claims arising from the sale of residential and recreational real estate in BC.
Ryan also works with developers and other property owners in litigation brought under the BC Environmental Management Act (“EMA”) in respect of contaminated property. Recent experience in this area includes Ryan’s successful application to retroactively restore a company that was dissolved more than 17 years prior to the application, as well as the directorship of its sole director, to avoid the application of previously settled law. This landmark decision set a new precedent which enabled our client to pursue a cost-recovery action under the EMA against both the company and its director (Foster v. Tundra Turbos Inc., 2018 BCSC 563).
Ryan has acted for international, national and local property developers in their construction based disputes. He regularly advises owners, contractors and sub-contractors on builder’s lien issues.
Ryan A. Shaw's Recent Activity
RBS supports the EllisDon and C&S Group First Annual Subtrade Golf Tournament
July 19, 2019
Taking place on July 25th at Morgan Creek Golf Course, funds raised at the tournament, which we are a...
Ryan Shaw’s article published in BCSCA Newsletter
November 24, 2017
Ryan Shaw, member of the Commercial Leasing Group, authored an article “The importance of proper notice” that was published...