James D. Vilvang, Q.C.
Jim practiced with Sutton Braidwood and the merged firm of Richards Buell Sutton LLP to date.
He is a senior Associate Counsel with the Litigation group and was called to the Bar in British Columbia in 1974, and in the Yukon in 1994. Jim is also a Qualified Commercial Mediator. He was awarded Queen’s Counsel status in 1996.
Jim has been a distinguished and recognized trial lawyer for over 40 years and is highly regarded by all sectors of the bar for his work ethic, insight, and love of the legal profession.
Jim provides legal services through The James Vilvang Law Corporation.
REPRESENTATIVE CLIENT WORK
- Genesis Fertility Centre Inc. v. Yuzpe, 2019 BCSC 233.
- Dubois v. Lucid Distributors Inc., 2018 BCSC 1582
- Jacobs v. Yehia, 2018 BCSC 420
- Wright v. Mistry, 2017 BCSC 239
- Strother v. Darc, 2016 BCCA 297
- Strother v. Darc, 2015 BCSC 2507
- Jacobs v. Yehia, 2016 BCCA 38
- Jacobs v. Yehia, 2015 BCSC 267
- Maras v. Seemore Entertainment Ltd., 2014 BCSC 1109
- Harvey v. 5505 Yukon Ltd. et al., 2012 YKSC 69
- Burnett v. Moir, 2011 BCSC 1469
- Boot (Guardian of) v. Saladin, 1998 CanLII 6385 (BC SC)
HONOURS AND AWARDS
- Jim has been appointed a member of the Canadian Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (CADN), and his contact information and calendar can be found at their B.C. Chapter website.
- Jim has been recognized by Best Lawyers® in the area of Personal Injury Litigation for the 2015 to 2021 editions. Inclusion in this publication is based entirely on peer-review.
- Canadian Bar Association – George A. Goyer Award for Distinguished Service 2011
- Trial Lawyers Association of BC – Award for Outstanding Contribution – 2003
James D. Vilvang's Recent Activity
RBS a Premier Sponsor of HUB Cycling’s Fall Bike to Work Week
October 7, 2020
HUB Cycling's Bike to Work Week campaign saw 222 riders pass through and engage with...
10 Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada 2021 Publication
August 27, 2020
Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers® has been regarded as a premier guide to legal excellence. Acknowledgment and...