Jonathan M.S. Woolley
Jonathan Woolley is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property and Advanced Education and Research Groups. He maintains a broad litigation practice, with particular emphasis on intellectual property and commercial litigation. He has appeared at all levels of court in British Columbia, as well as the BC Human Rights Tribunal and various professional regulatory bodies.
Jonathan’s intellectual property litigation practice focuses on copyright and trademark law and he represents commercial clients in contract and shareholder disputes. Jonathan also has experience in professional negligence claims, insolvency, and administrative and regulatory law. Jonathan regularly acts for lenders in foreclosures and unsecured collections having acted for major Canadian banks as well as private lenders.
Jonathan joined the firm in 2014, after having practised at a large litigation firm, and later a litigation boutique, in Vancouver. In 2011 he obtained Master of Laws degrees from New York University and the National University of Singapore while based in Singapore and Shanghai.
Jonathan was born in Newfoundland and grew up in Saskatchewan. He enjoys reading, music, travel, and outdoor sports.
Jonathan provides legal services through Jonathan M.S. Woolley Law Corporation.
REPRESENTATIVE CLIENT WORK
- Counsel for trademark owners in infringement actions
- Counsel for copyright owners in infringement actions
- Counsel for a university in an arbitration with a pharmaceutical company, involving patent licensing and royalties
- Member of a legal team in the defence of a tobacco company in a health care costs recovery lawsuit
- Defence counsel for a foreign corporation in a three-week trial in a derivative action brought by a minority shareholder
- Plaintiff’s counsel in a one-week trial relating to allegations of negligence and breach of contract in connection with a church fire
- Plaintiff’s counsel for a foreign judgment-creditor, in a summary trial resulting in the enforcement of a foreign judgment in BC
- Counsel for a franchisor in a two-week trial involving allegations of breach of contract and fraud
- Counsel for a plaintiff manager in a greenhouse business, in a claim of unjust enrichment against a majority shareholder, through summary trial and appeal
- Counsel for a teacher on a judicial review, and subsequent appeal, of a decision of the Teacher Regulation Branch, involving issues of res judicata and abuse of process by delay
- Counsel for a physician, on an administrative appeal to the BC Supreme Court, from a decision of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC
- Counsel in the defence of a large insurance company in a seven-week trial relating to allegations of breach of contract
- Counsel for a plaintiff minority shareholder in an eight-week corporate oppression trial
- Counsel for a surgeon in a one-week trial involving allegations of medical negligence and battery
- Counsel for creditors in foreclosures and unsecured collections
- Defence counsel for professionals in disciplinary matters before their regulatory bodies
- Defence counsel for insurance brokers in negligence claims.
- Director, Lawyers’ Inn Society
Jonathan M.S. Woolley's Recent Activity
RBS is a Platinum Sponsor of the Canadian Association of University Solicitors (CAUS) Conference
May 6, 2019
This annual conference takes place on May 23rd to 25th in Whistler, BC. The lawyers in our Institutions...
RBS Welcomes Two New Partners
January 9, 2019
We are pleased to announce the addition of Aneez N. Devji and Jonathan M.S. Woolley to the partnership.