Mark C. Baron
Practice AreasLending and Secured Transactions Commercial Real Estate Acquisitions and Sales Institutional Real Estate Insolvency
Share This Page
Mark Baron is the firm’s Managing Partner and the leader of both its Real Estate Department and the Commercial Lending Practice Group. His preferred area of practice is commercial lending, but he has significant experience in commercial real estate transactions and insolvency. Mark regularly acts for chartered banks, credit unions, life insurance companies, private lenders, public institutions and large private companies in commercial lending transactions. He advises on all manners of secured loan transactions from complex syndicated mortgage loans to asset-based commercial loans, including all ancillary matters corollary to these loan structures.
He serves as the President and Counsel to the Mortgage Investment Association of British Columbia. Mark is a regular contributing author and presenter for the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC.
Mark has volunteered for numerous organizations and continues to be active in the community. He is a past member for many years of the board of directors for the Canadian Mental Health Association, Vancouver Fraser Branch, and was tasked with the legal responsibilities of overseeing the amalgamation of three long-standing branches into the current branch. He currently sits on the board of the West Vancouver Minor Hockey Association and volunteers to coach both kids hockey and boys soccer. Previously he was active with the Kats Rugby FC, and was a long time delegate to the Vancouver Rugby Union. Mark was a regular contributor to The Greater Vancouver Food Bank in capacities ranging from volunteering to sorting food at the warehouse, to assisting other groups with the organization of charity events and fundraising.
Mark provides legal services through Mark C. Baron Law Corporation.
REPRESENTATIVE CLIENT WORK
- Acts for lead lenders in syndicated construction and term loans
- Acted to secure $100 million debentures in complex development and lease back structure
- Acted to secure complex participating interest program for developer take back mortgages
- Regularly acts for lenders in loan transactions to property developers, businesses, estates, provincial and federal not-for-profits, cooperative associations and unions
- Recurrently acts for local housing authorities
- Drafted participation agreements for investors to private lender clients
- President, Counsel and Director of Mortgage Investment Association of British Columbia
- Director, West Vancouver Minor Hockey Association
- Coach, West Vancouver Football Club
- Assistant Coach, West Vancouver Minor Hockey Association
- Past Director, Canadian Mental Health Association, Vancouver Fraser Branch
- Past Delegate, Vancouver Rugby Union
Mark C. Baron's Recent Activity
CLEBC Seminar – Real Estate Development: Advanced Issues 2014
September 23, 2014
On September 23, 2014, Mark Baron presented at The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia. Mark presented on the...
Four New Partners Welcomed to the Partnership
January 24, 2023
Tommy M. Chan, David W. Harvey, Arielle Lavender, and Ryan A. Shaw have joined the...