Aneka is an associate in the firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Group. Her practice and experience is focused in insurance, including coverage and defence, and corporate commercial litigation, including contractual disputes and commercial leasing disputes.
Aneka joined the firm in 2018. Prior to this, Aneka completed her articles and was an associate with a national insurance litigation firm where she gained experience in a wide variety of matters including professional liability, products liability, multi-party construction disputes, property damage, occupier’s liability, and strata disputes. She has appeared on behalf of clients in matters before the Provincial and Supreme Courts of British Columbia and has experience with alternate forms of dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration. Aneka is a pragmatic lawyer with a results-oriented focus, be it efficiently negotiating and resolving matters, or advocating for a client in the courtroom.
Prior to her legal studies, Aneka earned a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of British Columbia. While attending law school, she served as Regional Director on the External Relations Committee, served as a Hearing Officer on the Society of Law Students Dispute Resolution Committee and was on the Dean’s List for placing in the top 10% of her class. In 2012, Aneka was awarded the BC Law Foundation Entrance Scholarship.
Aneka currently serves on the executive of the Canadian Bar Association Young Lawyers Section and is an active participant in the CBA Women Lawyers Forum.
Outside of the office, Aneka enjoys spending time with friends and family on Vancouver’s sunny patios, walking the Seawall with her husband, singing and recording music, and skiing in the mountains during the winter season.
Representative Client Work:
- Counsel on dismissal of jurisdictional challenge of claims for equitable contribution and unjust enrichment advanced by U.S. insurers against other U.S. insurers (Budget Rent a Car v. Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance, 2018 BCSC 163);
- Counsel on trial of negligent work place safety claim advanced on behalf of catastrophically injured volunteer worker (Woo v. Crème De La Crumb Bakeshop Ltd., 2019 BCSC 1752);
- Counsel for prominent British Columbia fitness studio in negotiating and resolving a franchise agreement dispute;
- Counsel for distributor in negotiating and resolving a without cause termination of a long term product distribution agreement;
- Counsel for commercial landlord in litigating and resolving a commercial leasing dispute;
- Counsel for commercial tenant in litigating and resolving a commercial leasing dispute;
- Counsel on successful summary dismissal of action against leading Vancouver based insurance brokerage firm;
- Counsel on successful summary dismissal of action against Naturopathic Physician;
- Counsel in s.10 recovery action on behalf of WorkSafe BC for motor vehicle accident and resulting injuries (Hale v. Keyes, 2020 BCSC 559); and
- Counsel in s. 10 recovery action on behalf of WorkSafe BC for motor vehicle accident and resulting injuries (Lutzke v. Beier, 2018 BCSC 1427).
- “Duty Of Good Faith”: What Is Its Scope?, BC Broker Magazine, February 2020
- Who is Responsible for Paying the Strata’s Deductible, BC Broker Magazine, August 2018
- Case Comment: Party Bus Atlantic Inc. v. Temple Insurance Company, 2016 NSSC 96, Ontario Bar Association Insurance Newsletter, June 23, 2016, Co-Authored by Morgan Martin
Aneka Jiwaji's Recent Activity
Gear Up for HUB Cycling’s Fall Bike To Work Week Campaign
October 17, 2019
Kicking off on October 21st with the aim of encouraging and rewarding bike commuting across Metro Vancouver, RBS is the...
Cast your votes for Richards Buell Sutton LLP, and for David Hay, Q.C. in The Georgia Straight’s Best of Vancouver 2019 Reader’s Choice Awards!
June 28, 2019
In 2018 Personal Injury Practice Group Leader, David Hay, Q.C. won The Georgia Straight’s Best of Vancouver Reader's...